Dr. Catalin Copaescu
Catalin Copaescu, MD PhD, 55 y
- Consultant Surgeon heading the Gastrointestinal Minimal Invasive and Bariatric Surgery Department in PONDERAS ACADEMIC HOSPITAL, Bucharest, Romania.
- Associated Professor of the “Carol Davila” University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest and Invited Professor of the “Victor Babes” University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timisoara, Romania.
Contribution to MIS:
- Pioneering MIS in Romania in the early 90’, after 2000 he was introducing laparoscopic bariatric surgery in his country and contributed to the regional development and extension of all the video-assisted metabolic procedures.
- To-date he has performed more then 8000 bariatric operations, primary and revisions.
- He is the director of the Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery in PONDERAS ACADEMIC HOSPITAL designated by IFSO-EC (2011) and SRC (2014) where yearly 1200 metabolic procedures are actually performed.
- Executive Director of the Bucharest Surgical Training Institute – organizing training activities for minimal invasive video-assisted procedures dedicated to surgeons from many countries: hands-on training courses, live surgery demonstrations, clinical immersions and workshops.
- President of the Romanian Association of Endoscopic Surgery (since 2015)
- President of the International Symposium of Bariatric Surgery, yearly organized in Bucharest since 2008
- EAES – elected Board Member. Congress President of the 2015 European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) Congress organized in Bucharest, Romania on June, 2-3th, 2015.
- IFSO – active member, member of the IFSO-EC Communication Committee
- Also active member of ASMBS, AHS, ESCP, ESGE, IASGO, ESPEN